Sunday, April 24, 2011

Traveling Journal Kit...

I've been trying for ages to come up with the ideal journal kit. One that I can take with me when I am on the road, so I have everything I need to journal in hotel rooms. One that I can grab on my way out the door to a crop. One that I can keep packed up so it's ready to go whenever.

I finally did it and I'm so excited to share it with you! First, I have to give credit to Sarah Whitmire's "Jet Set Journaling" workshop. Sarah really helped me hone in on what kinds of things I would need/want to have with me. Then it was all about finding the right container to put it all in.

I was at Michael's last week and as I was waiting in line to check out, I saw a clearance table, and ran over for a quick look. There were about five of these stacked up, and they were marked down to $2.99 (yes you read that right - $2.99!!!) from the original price of $29.99. I really didn't have time to look too closely at it, but it seemed to have some organizing potential so I grabbed one - not knowing what I would do with it.

Well, it turned out to be absolutely PERFECT container for my traveling journal kit! Here's how it looks all packed and ready to go. I put a record album next to it to give you an idea of the size...


Opened it looks like this...


And then when you open it up completely, it has four sections (the plastic envelope on the right side comes with it and velcros to the inside of the flap...


Here's a closeup of each section. See if you can tell what's in there, and then I will show you in a minute...





I can't believe how much stuff fits neatly inside this thing! Here's everything I can carry with me in this kit...
Left to right starting at the top:

"I Walk At Night" Collage journal
Envelope filled with three magazines, and tons of cut out images for collage
Rub-ons
Composition book for notes
Journal Prompts from Jet-Set Journaling Class
"Trixie Belden" Urban Journal for painting
Three glue sticks
Water-soluble oil pastels
Watercolor set (with waterbrush inside)
Envelope filled with small ephemera
Wet wipes
Small container of gesso
Small container of gel medium
Six of my favorite journaling pens
Tape runner
Small roll of wonder tape
Three paint brushes
Reading glasses
Several pieces of waxed paper
Black ink pad
Three rolls of decorative tape
Four of my favorite crayons
A headlamp for journaling in bed or low light
Tiny attacher and refill staples
A cute little chipmunk eraser
Black pan pastel and applicator
Set of 8 Pitt pens in blacks and greys
Detail scissors
Ribbons
Liquitex acrylics in tiny containers

Can you believe all that fit in that one little tote?

I tried it out on my recent trip and it was so easy to work with! I unzipped it and folded it out on the bed and you can see everything and get at it easily while still keeping things organized - yeayyy!

Thanks for stopping by and visiting! I really appreciate it, and if you haven't been over to see my guest post on Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's Blog, I hope you will stop by over there and say hi too!

4 comments:

marit said...

It's amazing that all this fits into one tote!!! Ohmygoodness... Although I hardly travel, I think I want one too!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwww! What a DEAL!!! LOVE it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Scatter said...

That might be the best 2.99 you ever spent! Nice score!

Deb said...

Talk about perfect timing--heading to the shore this weekend with some of my scrappy pals and wanted to take my art journal stuff along but wanted to keep it consolidated and compact since sharing space with others who tend to "overpack" also. This post was truly helpful. Thanks so much, Michelle!