Thursday, April 26, 2012

It's Time for another Balzer Designs Stencil Hop!

Hi everyone!  I'm so excited to bring you round two of my participation in the Balzer Designs Spring Stencil Hops!

This time around we are featuring the "Wedding Ring" stencil!  How beautiful is this design???



I had so much fun playing around, and seeing what this stencil could do!  I ended up with two projects completed - one card, and one art journal spread.

First I made the card...
For this I used the 6"x6" version of the stencil, and sponged some stamp pad ink through it.  I learned this technique from my friend Anne, and it really works well for getting the details to show up! 

Then I cut along the bottom of the circles to make a scallop; and backed it with green cardstock to give it a pop of color.  I also outlined the shapes with a black journaling pen... 

I still wanted more color, so I used some colored pencils and gamsol for blending...
 

and here's how the card turned out...



Next I decided to play around in my art journal with the 12" x 12" version of the stencil. I had an idea for an interactive journal spread, and I'm so excited about how it turned out!!! Here's what I ended up with...
I started out with two sets of watercolor pages in my Blue Kitten Journal.  I used modeling paste through the stencil to create texture on the top set of pages.  I just loved the bubbly shape it created around the outside, so I decided to cut the shape out! Then I painted it green, and rubbed some turquoise ink over the top to highlight the texture. I cut three of the circle middles out so you could see the second layer of watercolor paper underneath (which I painted pink and yellow with the help of my beloved Neocolor II crayons).

 The current prompt over at "A Year In The Life of an Art Journal" is to use "inchie" photos to capture details in your everyday life that make you smile.  The spring flowers in my neighborhood really make me smile, so I cut photos I've taken of them to fit inside the circles and glued them on.  They're actually 2", but who's counting, right? 

 The green paper flips over on either side to reveal my journaling...


I had TONS OF FUN playing with the Wedding Ring Stencil!!! 

If you haven't done so yet, hop on over to the other participating bloggers and see what beautiful things they have created for the hop...

Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com/balzer_designs/2012/04/stencil-hop-wedding-ring.html

Valerie Mangan
http://paperandcookies.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Mason
http://www.clothpaperscissors.com/blogs/jenn/default.aspx

Christine Urias
http://scraptime.ca/blogpage/

Michelle LaPoint Rydell (that's me!)
http://inspirationeverywhere.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much to Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, and Crafter's workshop for inviting me to be part of the Spring Stencil Hop 2012!!!





35 comments:

Unknown said...

absolutely LOVE what you did with this stencil. Great card and such fun journal pages.

Valerie said...

Such gorgeous projects - I adore your use of bright color!

Jaime Echt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaime Echt said...

Michelle! Sorry I was reading Valerie's comment and writing at the same time. BEATUIFUL!! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwww! I absolutely loveeeeeeeee what you did with those stencils Michelle!! Just GORGEOUS!

texasbarb said...

Love the versatility of this stencil. Really like how you've used it..molding paste and cutouts...super idea!

Christine said...

Beautiful card! I loved in your Art Journal how the piece covered your journaling! Very creative!

Glenda T. said...

I love how you used the stencil Michelle and I wish my writing looked like yours!!!!

smokeysmom said...

I love the card! Your use of the stencil for your journal also came out great. Thanks for playing in the blog hop!

Miriam Prantner said...

Womderful! Love both of these projects! Great techniques and great results!

Lisa said...

Michelle, your bold colors and style make me so happy! Weeee! Love your two projects! Can you share a bit more about your ink pad technique for stenciling? The results are WAY cool!

Barbara L. said...

Several great uses of one stencil. I like that. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your card!!! So cute and something I would never have thought of doing. Keep the inspiration coming.

Bunnyfreak said...

Wow. Love what you did with it. Two very different looks.

StacyC said...

Love what you did with the stencil, love the card...

cal8007 said...

Amazing! Love how you used the stencil to make pages!

Carmen

Flo said...

Very pretty. I love your colors. Thanks.

Bast said...

Simply gorgeous! I just love the bright fun colors you used. TFS

KimMJ
bast83o@comcast.net

Tammy said...

Wonderful Card! I would love to learn more about Lettering :) Tammy

Patricia Roebuck said...

gasp, Michelle! Wow, you have blown me away again, and have also made me want to buy the stencil, and the crayons you are using! These are gorgeous! CONGRATULATIONS on being part of the hop...you are so talented! And thank you for supporting me...you are awesome!

pcrusberg said...

Gorgeous!

milkcan said...

Beautiful projects! The way you used the stencil for the card edge is just so genius!

jbonomo said...

Great card and love what you did on your journal! Fabulous.

sharon g said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I love how you used so many great colors, and how you did it. I'm going to go look again.

emilysnan said...

hiya , hopping over from julies x wow I love that card its beautiful love the cloud and the sun , lovely touch x your LO is fab too love the flip pages and the cut outs for the inchies very cool , tfs
xmaggiex

Carol McCready said...

Love the card. Pages are awesome too. TFS.

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is fabulous. I love the card and the pages. How fun to make the pages in layers.

Kathi said...

I love the different ways you used the stencils.

JJ Meyer said...

I love your card and layout!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love how you used the stencil to make a fancy edge... very cool!

dawn said...

WOW WOW WOW YOU AMAZED ME AGAIN MICHELLE, THESE TOTALLY ROCK!! I love how creative and fun you were with the stencil. I thought for sure you'd have a wedding page done for you and hubby.

The card is gorgeous and bright, love the scallop edge and the added orange.

The journal page though is soooo cool. I love what you did and those flower cutouts are perfect!!

Thanks for sharing!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh my goodness, Michelle! I love what you did with the stencils!!!!

karenelr said...

Oh how I love what you did with this stencil--Thank you for sharing--I love love love it!

Anonymous said...

WOW, amazing. Brilliant ideas that I am going to try out. Thank you.
DianneT in Australia

anne g-i said...

Your card is fabulous!!!! So very summery and happy! What a fun stencil! I love that you used different colers. Did you ink directly with the ink pad? I'm going to have to try that. It wouldn't work real well with the larger distress pads I using a few weeks ago but those little ones would work well. Your interactive journal page is way cool - I've started to play with creating a journal a few times but have never followed thru. You and Christina really inspired me with what you're doing though - can't wait to get started!