Monday, December 1, 2014

Mixed Media Cards Monday...

Happy Calendar-changing Day everyone!  This month makes me extra happy because the first of the month comes on a Monday!  That's two fresh starts in one - a new month AND a new week!  Yeayyy!!!

A few years ago, I participated in an ATC swap with the theme of "Mixed Media Journal Prompts."  It was tons of fun, and I ended up with a full deck of beautiful cards.  I keep them in this special wood box...

See how perfectly they fit?

Last week I was feeling stuck, so I shuffled the deck and had Michael blindly pick three cards.  This is what he picked...

The prompts were:
1. Write a little song
2.  Make your journaling secret by writing without any spaces between the letters or lines
3.  Journal a lyric

So I got busy...

 It was the perfect chance to journal about something that had been bothering me. I love this technique cuz you can get it out, and not only does it stay private, but it creates a neat pattern.  I wrote with a permapaque marker over a teal acrylic/white gesso background...


Then I used my new Derwent Graphik marker to blow some splatters on top...

added some tissue paper, a magazine image, and some acrylic drips...

and finished the page by journaling a lyric by Matchbox 20 on top.  This lyric had been going thru my head all week and fit with the topic of my journaling perfectly.  I drew the words with my marker, then gessoed around them to obscure the background and make them stand out...



I love how my page turned out!  I'm thinking about making this a regular practice.  Like maybe once a month, or once every couple of weeks?  I haven't decided yet.

I love my deck of cards, and wish I had some more.  I'm thinking about hosting a swap in the new year.  Would anyone be interested in participating?  It would be an atc swap with the theme  of art journal prompts.  Let me know in the comments so I can gauge interest, okay?

I will leave you with the video for the Matchbox 20 song that my lyric came from.  It's one of my favorites...



Thanks so much for visiting and for your comments.  I appreciate them!  Have a great day!

13 comments:

Mary Dean said...

Yes, I would be interested in an art journal prompt atc swap! sounds fun!

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

That's awesome Mary Dean! Thanks!

anne g-i said...

What fun! I love how you used the cards! And I'd love to join in if you do a swap! Your page is great - love how you hid your journaling.

phinner said...

me me ME!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I am LOVING how you came up with your prompts! So awesome!!!!!!!

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love the Matchbox 20 lyrics! Your post is amazing, Michelle!!!! ( . . .sorry to say I can't to the swap right now, but maybe another not so busy time!)

Kim T said...

This is really a very very cool page and great idea

Meg M said...

I just found your blog this weekend and love it and love your style. This page is great and I would certainly consider joining a swap of journal prompt cards if the timing were right (so I could commit the time).

Barb Smith said...

Count me in! I'd love to take part.
Peace & Love,
Barb

Linda B. said...

i think that sounds great, and love your page!

Marit said...

In the new year, you say? An ATC swap? It's been ages since I did something like that but it sounds like fun, count me in!!!
I love your page - it reminds me of a page I did last year (top 2000 page "Oh Well" http://www.maritspaperworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/500-marit-fleetwoodmac.jpg only I did the big lettering the other way around (gessoed the title...) I love the technique you used and I might try something like that this weekend (if I have the time, we also plan on installing a laminated floor in the hallway... eeecckkk!) Enjoy your weekend beautiful one!

dawn said...

Hello Michelle! How awesome your page turned out, WOW WOW WOW!! I love the start of it and the end of it. How much time did you allow for drying, curious in case I try this. The tissue paper didn't rip or move on you? LOVE THIS!!!!

I would love to be in the swap with you. Especially if we have plenty of time, I am a slow crafter. The prompt ideas is such a good one. Beautiful box for your cards by the way too. I'm still doing trades here with my IG friends. Love sharing a little bit of art with others this way.

I started my DD and shared on my blog and hope to have my PL on there soon too. YAY! Almost time for the new year already, excited for this one.
Happy Weekend, sorry for all my chatting, lol.

McMGrad89 said...

Love the Matchbox 20 page. - Been hiding for a while. Life took over, but feel like getting back in on the art journal scene. Missing you all. - Annemarie