Sunday, February 15, 2015

How I Use My Bullet Journal...

Hi friends!  Today I want to talk to you about the bullet journal.  It's a method of note-taking developed by Ryder Carroll, and it's been gaining popularity all around the internet lately.  I can't remember how I came upon this video, but I was intrigued when I saw it...



There is an official website for the bullet journal here:  bulletjournal.com.

Knowing that I have a swirly brain, and need structure to keep things in order, I thought I would give it a try.  I actually started in November in a composition notebook, and it worked so well that by January, I had invested in a beautiful orange Leuchtturm 1917.  It's the top book in this photo...



In my opinion, it's the ultimate notebook for bullet journaling!  I can't say enough about how wonderful the Leuchtturm 1917 is!  The paper is so smooth and lovely to write on!  The pages come pre-numbered, and there is an index at the front...

I tried making the monthly calendar in a list-form as per the video instructions...
It looked nice, but I really didn't use it, so I won't be continuing with that. 

Instead I bought a little 4x6 calendar to put in the back pocket of the journal.  This allows for future planning too; something that the bullet journal system lacks...

Here's my key.  I keep it pretty simple....


Sometimes I will do a weekly page where I track things.  (ignore the year on this, it was actually from 2014 - ha!)...

 My daily pages change and evolve as I go.  Here are some examples...




In my Year of the Spark workshop, Carla suggested doing a daily journal page divided into sections for various purposes, so I've been doing that and it's super fun!



I don't do a daily page every day though.  Only when I feel I need it.  If my brain is feeling jumbly and I want to sort things out, I will do one.  If I start my day with a solid plan in my head, I don't do one. 

I also put other stuff in my bullet journal.  Such as workshop handouts, and sketches...


Lettering practice...

Sometimes my pages are messy like this...

The main thing is - if I have an idea (or anything that I want to remember), I just open up to the next available page and write it down.

The two main things I always do are:  1.  Date every page.  and  2. Keep the index up to date. That way  I can find things when I need them.

My orange Leuchtturm is getting full, so I have a pink one ordered and on the way!  Click here to see all the fun colors they come in!

Do you bullet journal?  If so, how do you like it?

If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments and I will do the best I can to answer them in the next post.

Thanks so much for visiting today my friends!  I wish you a fabulous Sunday!

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

What a cool idea! I am loving how you add your drawings to your journal too!!!

sisa said...

You are so well organized and so productive, while I am a very chaotic person! I think I must check this bullet journal!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a nice creative week!
Suzanne

Pierrette Goupil said...

Thank you for sharing, Michelle. You are so generous. I'm thinkink about keeping a bullet journal too... It seems that you are using it as your personal journal, your main journal. I love the idea. I love this idea... Have a beautiful week. Thank you for this. Pierrette

Unknown said...

Great photos and examples! Thank you for sharing. I am evolving into having inspiration and perspiration aka work things together. I like it in theory and hope it works for me.

I, too, have a swirly brain, but have so many projects that i have to provide structure for myself so i can keep it all going.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed how much you journal and wish I was more disciplined. I do keep lists in a notebook and having a pretty pink leather book makes me happy. your little drawings are so adorable.

Unknown said...

I totally love this.. it has really caught my imagination (as you know!) and I am off to start one myself.. .thank you so much for posting it! *hugs* x

Windy Pineda said...

I loooove your handwriting!

And I love how freely you use your bullet journal... sadly I'm too structured to constantly change of layout

beautiful work :)

iHanna said...

I am a fan of the Lechtturm too, mine right now is pink! I use it for journaling and have a special smaller notebooks for list which is convinient for me. Great post. Loved the page examples here!