Sunday, October 2, 2011

Spirit of Joy...

Today's Art Journal Page...
The bird image is from Birds & Blooms Magazine (a great resource for beautiful images and it's affordable!). I also used scrapbook paper from my stash, dictionary paper, magazine text, handmade cloud stamps, acrylic and watercolor paint and gesso. Finished page is 8" x 10."

Dawn had asked me how long I work on a piece. It really varies, but I tend to be slowww. This one took a couple of days because I waited for my layers of paint to dry before moving on. The process went like this:

Looked for a quote to express what I was feeling yesterday, and found the Gandhi one.
Painted page with numerous oranges and pink acrylics mixed together.
Misted with White Studio Calico "Mr. Huey" mist.
Added paper collage pieces.
Stamped clouds
Glued on hummingbird.
4 layers of rays under the birds wings - black pastel, white gesso, yellow acrylic and neon orange for an accent.
Drew journaling lines.
Added quote.
3 layers of white sharpie poster paint pen inside the bigger letters.

How about you? Do you usually finish your projects all at one time? What's your process like? I'd love to know, and I bet others would too!

Thanks so much for visiting - I really appreciate it!

5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loveeeeeee this!! LOVING that hummingbird!! With me.. if it's a lo... I take about 30-45 minutes... with an altered project in can take up to two weeks with drying time etc :):):):):):)

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Julie you are amazing! Your layouts look like they take a long time - they are so beautifully done and detailed!

dawn said...

I love the colors on this one, the rays under the bird is awesome!! You really put some work in your pages. Thank you for showing the steps you used, it really helps me to figure out how you put a page together. The way you fit your journal lines on later in the process is interesting because I've learned recently in my scrapbook layouts that I need to do this step first or it takes me longer to start a page.
I learned a lot just by reading this, so thanks so much. I'm a slow scraper and on any art work too.
Thanks again for sharing and inspiring!

donna!ee said...

seriously michelle, these are gorgeous pages. brite vivid color & content that surely makes me smile. thank you much for sharing :)

Deb said...

Your pages are always gorgeous, Michelle! Thanks for sharing your process with us!