Saturday, March 24, 2012

Inspiration from my Nothing Book...

Would I sound old if I said I was around when the very first blank book came out? HA. Depending on your age, you may or may not remember "The Nothing Book." It came out in the 70's and seemed very innovative at the time. It was just a bound book with blank pages. I had one and I guess you could say it was my very first art journal.

Here it is. I love the clever title...


I only finished two spreads in this journal um nothing book. Here's the first one...

On the left page is a memorial to Brian Jones, who was a member of the Rolling Stones that died in 1969. The quote is from his headstone.

On the right page is a list of all of my favorites with a date of October 18, 1976. It's so fun to look at now. What's even more fun is that I did an updated list six years later and put it on the next spread...

This one is dated September 18, 1982...
Fun to see the changes. On the left side is a poem with a little drawing.

Anyways, the reason I bring it up, is that I was reminded of these favorites lists when I was working on the current prompt of "A Year In The Life of an Art Journal," and I decided to pull them out and use them as inspiration for an updated list - this time (gasp) 30 years later! Here's the prompt and my list...

THE PROMPT: These are a Few of My Favorite Things
THE STUFF: List of your favorite things. ie: fave color, book, coffee creamer, drink, season, flowers... etc.
THE TECHNIQUE: Brown paper ie: "brown paper packages tied up with string" and labels from some of your favorite things

I didn't use the brown paper, but here it is...

I used an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of white cardstock and a Sakura Glaze Pen in black. The coloring was done with sharpies. I'm going to tape it into my record album journal. I pasted copies of the old lists on the back side just for fun!

If you want to play along, head on over to the Year In the Life blog by clicking here...

Thanks for visiting and I will see you again soon!

12 comments:

Patricia Roebuck said...

This book looks strangely familiar. Seriously. My mom was a doodler. So I would not have been surprised she had it. Love what you did with the challenge. The colors and the rays is a very cool way to document favorites...gorgeous!

k ayala said...

I really love the colors & your handwriting is way cool! Enjoyed this:)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is AWESOME Michelle!! I loveeeeeeeeee the colors....and I don't remember this book... but I am loving it's quirky title!!

Mrs Pretzel said...

Very cool!!

Marit said...

Oh how wonderful to see those old pages! Funny, how we (don't) change over the years, isn't it?! LOVE your colourful pages back then ánd now!

Lynda said...

I was around but I sure don't remember that book. That's so much fun to read those old pages. I have old journals but they are mostly about boys and school! I love the idea of lists. Thanks for sharing and love your new page.

yyam said...

How fun! Love the pops of colour with journaling!

dawn said...

This is soooo awesome!! You had great colorful style and handwriting even back then. Wish I had something like this, the few journals I had got thrown out when we moved my senior year. Really Really wish I had them right now.

You were made to art journal at a young age, love that about you!!

Glenda T. said...

I'm diggin the bright bold colors on this, super fun!!!

Izzy Anderson said...

Great stroll down memory line. What a wonderful find that old journal was. I kept some journals as a child but sadly I no longer have them. So, I live vicariously through you. Love your new art journal too.

dani said...

Wow, very cool. Love all the creative ideas here.

Clare Lloyd said...

fab page. love all the bright and vibrant colours.