Tuesday, December 29, 2009

And The Top 2000 Countdown Continues with Counting Crows...

I am so glad that my friend Marit thought up this challenge!

My pick from today's songs is "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows. It comes in at #662...

There are so many things I love about this song - the energy, the urban feel, and the lyrics - oh the lyrics... I tried to reflect those things in my layout. The silhouette is actually a photo of frontman Adam Duritz which I cut out and used as a mask for misting.

Here's the meaning behind the song, in Adam's own words, during VH1 Storytellers. (Taken from this link)...

“It’s really a song about my friend Marty and I. We went out one night to watch his dad play, his dad was a flamenco guitar player who lived in Spain, and he was in San Francisco in the mission playing with his old flamenco troupe. And after the gig we all went to this bar called the New Amsterdam in San Francisco on Columbus and we got completely drunk. And Marty and I sat at the bar staring at these two girls, wishing there was *some* way we could go talk to them, but we were, we were too shy. And we thought, we kept joking with each other, that if we were big rock stars instead of such loser, low-budget musicians, we’d be able to, this would be easy. And I went home that night and I wrote a song about it.

And I joke about what’s it about, that story. But it’s really a song about all the dreams and all the things that make you want to go in to , you know, doing whatever it is that like seizes your heart, whether it’s being a rock star or being a doctor or whatever it is, you know. And I mean, those things run from like ‘all this stuff I have pent up inside of me’ to , ‘I want to meet girls’ you know, because I’m tired of not being able to. And it is a lot of those things, it’s about all those dreams. But it’s also kind of cautionary because it’s about how misguided you may be about some of those things and how hollow they may be too. Like the character in the song keeps saying, ‘When everybody loves me I will never be lonely.’ And you’re supposed to know that that’s not the way it’s gonna be, probably. I knew that even then.

And this is a song about my dreams”



Here's the official video- LOVE LOVE LOVE IT...





I'll be back tomorrow with my contribution to the second to last day of Marit's challenge. Don't forget to go to Marit's blog to see all of the layouts for today's songs - they are all so awesome!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

6 comments:

Marit said...

Wow, wow, wow - you did it again Michelle!!! LOVE the silhouette and that it actually is the frontman! You cought the "urban feeling" in this layout very well! I LOVE the bricks and colours! Still two more to go... I wish we could do this all year!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how u used his silhouette!!!! this is soooooooooooooooooooo cool michelle! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

mandysea said...

another *gasp* Oooh I love your little figure with the open stretched arms....

that is soooo (sigh) stunning!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Very neat. I have to admit I am in awe!

Denise said...

I love that mask! Such a cool idea. It totally captures the feel of the song. I did this challenge today, too...not sure if I'll be able to keep up, but now that I'm working digitally, I can try more of these!

Deana said...

So incredibly awesome... shaking my head here. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...

:-)