Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Two More Days of the Top 2000 Countdown...

It's the second to the last day of the Top 2000 Countdown challenge on Marit's blog! My contribution for December 30th is 1971's "Vincent" by Don McLean. It comes in at #395...

I painted a gold border on the backside of a hambly overlay and placed that on top of some patterned paper. Then continued the overlay design with a white sharpie on top of the Van Gogh self-portrait. I also used some happy tape at the bottom of the self-portrait, and popped out the photo of singer Don McLean with pop-dots for some extra dimension. The lyrics are done with Sharpie Poster Paint Pens.

I've loved this song since it first came out when I was a kid. The beautiful and sad poetry of the lyrics are what first got me interested in the life and art of Van Gogh. Altho I knew the song was written about Vincent Van Gogh; I did not know the back story of how McLean came to write it; so I did some checking, and found out at McLean's website.

Here's a video of the song "Vincent" which showcases some of Van Gogh's paintings. Aren't they beautiful?!!!




Don't forget to check Marit's blog for the other participants layouts! They are all so beautiful!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I will be back tomorrow with my last layout of the challenge!

9 comments:

mandysea said...

oH WOW ....weeeeeeeell this one has totally blown me away.
Your interpretation is captivating. Its one of my all time favourite songs.
sigh....

Marit said...

I love your layout again although I'm not a Vincent-lover.. due to the "over exposure" in the Netherlands... his art is very commercialized overhere - for the tourists (they even have bow ties with sunflowers! Can you believe that? Vincent would turn around in his grave if he knew this!) I love how you let Don pop up from the work!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this michelle!!! i loveeeeeeeeeeeeee the lyrics u chose and the art piece too!!!!! I'm not the biggest vincent fan (like...not love it...lol!)...more of a Monet girl (i know....U are probably NOT shocked by that!!!! LOL!!)....but everything u touch TURNS out ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

anne g-i said...

I love that you've included back stories about the songs. This is a wonderful song and another beautiful and inspiring layout.

mborrero said...

I know this song well. I think Vincent would be proud that he had such an amazing legacy.

namaste
Melina

living, creating, and appreciating
~my blog
Daisy girl for Color Me Daisy

lisa truesdell said...

this is very cool- i've so loved seeing what you've done w/ the musical intreps, they've all been beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hello Michelle,

TOP 2000....."Today there are quite a few I’ve never heard over here in America. I will have to look them up!"

Here from the Netherlands.... Cuby + Blizzards, Appleknockers Flophouse

Greetings, Marius.....

Denise said...

Gorgeous...what a stunner! I'm loving that you do your handlettering with a Sharpie...I'm such a Sharpie fan...my "archival" scrapbooking friends gasp, but I don't care! Best! Pen! Ever! LOL

Oh, and thanks to Marius for giving a link to that Appleknockers Flophouse...that one made me verrry curious! ;)

milkcan said...

Dude, your work is just so gorgeous! I loooooove it!